cba_s0118_header.png
Home
About
Get Started Book
Volunteering Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
   2 Dec 07
   4 Dec 07
   20 Dec 07
   27 & 30 Dec 07
   24 & 26 Jan 08
   3 April 08
   10 Apr 08
   17 Apr 08
   2 May 08
   9 May 08
   6 June 08
   27 Jun 08
   5 Jul 08
   25 Jul 08
   16 Aug 08
   23 Aug 08
   12 Feb 09
   29 Jan 09
   15 May 09
   Easter 09
   21 May 09
   18 Jun 09
   29 & 30 Jun 09
   19th & 25th Sep 09
   9 July 09
   15 Oct 09
   29 Oct 09
   26 Nov 09
   11 Nov 09
   4 Dec 09
   17 Dec 09
   2 Jan 10
   23 Mar 10
   3 Jun 10
   12 - 17 Jun 10
   24 Jun - 1 Jul 10
   8 Jul - 5 Aug 10
   19 - 26 Aug 10
   2 & 9 Sep 10
   16 Sep - 8 Oct 10
   15 Oct - 19 Nov 10
   15-17 Dec 10
   Feb & 2-4 Mar 11
   17-20 Mar 11
   24 April 11
   5 May 11
   28-30 May 11
   11 Jun 11
   22-25 Jun 11
   30 Jun - 01 Jul 11
   8-15 Jul 11
   26 Jul 11
   28-30 Jul 11
   01 & 09 Mar 2012
   19-20 May 2012
   25 May - 3 Jun 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012
   1-8 Jul 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012 cont...
   02 Aug 2013
Time Out
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Materials
Questions
Articles Recipes
Links
Books
Contact us
ldarthandwritten190.png


2 Jan 10

Windy, cold, sunny, hot and wet

The past two weeks have been, erm, interesting weather-wise (here in Spain as well as in Northern Europe). We've had -6C temperatures at night, +25C by day, winds to blow your insides out and enough rain to fulfill an Earthshippers requirements for months.

I read somewhere recently that there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. Well, that was definitely the case for our earthship with it's thin plastic roof covering held on by tyres and planks of wood. This is what we saw when we arrived at the 'ship this morning - eek!

2jan101.jpg

And this is the result of the rain on the whitewashed ceiling planks below - sob!

2jan102.jpg

We dutifully started decanting the pools of water that had collected in the ructed up plastic onto the satsuma and other trees. But after topping up our two water butts gave up and tipped the rest, including ripped plastic, into the round room hole. There was a waterfall of water which was strangely satisfying to hear and made us think how much water we'll be able to collect when the roof is finished - bring it on.

2jan103.jpg
 

After much discussion, we've decided to build the cricket (that will help the water flow off the roof) now before putting the insulation on. The books say to put it on after, not sure what difference it makes, only that by having it on now hopefully it'll help stop the puddling.

Left is the startings of the construction

While Dave was doing the cricket I got back to treating the planks (how has Dave managed to get out of this job AGAIN?!). We'd already mixed up a half kilo of the borax powder with water before leaving home so I set myself up and got painting. Eight planks of raw sawn wood done with two generous coats both sides and edges took the half kilo, almost to the ml. It's so much nicer to use, there's hardly any smell to it and I'm not so worried about splashing myself or the floor. Don't get me wrong, borax should be used carefully and I've never been a splash it about painter anyway, but somehow the knowledge that it's not giving off seriously noxious fumes or made from petrochemicals makes it sooo much nicer to use, and hopefully better in the long run too.

2jan104.jpg

By the time Dave had pinned in the end beam (which he's been waiting to do for months), laid out the wood for the cricket and worked out how to construct it it was time to pack up. So we covered the cricket with planks then covered the whole lot with a new piece of plastic. Fingers crossed it'll work as the weather report for next week is rain and more rain.


2014bookadvert190.png

knitafroliclogo190.png