cba_s0118_header.png
Home
About
Get Started Book
Volunteering Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
Time Out
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
   2-3 Aug 2012
   25-26 Aug 2012
   02 Sep 2012
   6-7 Oct 2012
   17-23 Sep 12
   30 May - 2 Jun 2013
   13-16 June 2013
   20-21 June 2013
   27-30 June 2013
   July 2013
   Oct 2013
   24-27 Oct 2013
   7-10 Nov 2013
   15-16 Nov 2013
   29-30 Nov 2013
   21-24 Nov 2013
   December 2013
   03-04 Jan 2014
   Jan 2014
   7-8 Feb 2014
   21-22 Feb 2014
   March 2014
   April 2014
   May - Jun 2014
   Oct 2014 Update
   5-14 Sep 2014
Diary Materials
Questions
Articles Recipes
Links
Books
Contact us
ldarthandwritten190.png


Oct 2013

Masses to tell you about this month

We had a 2-dayer then a 4-dayer at the 'ship, so lots of things done. Firstly, Dave finished putting the triangular windows into the dome. We've used EPDM under the windows and along the outside ledge with chicken wire on top which will help the final layer of papercrete to stick.

rubber window sealer
Fitting the rubber seal
metal window flashing
Metal flashing with rubber sealer
EPDM and chicken wire

Bottle brick work finished for now

I finished the bottle sunburst above the entrance and the bottle infill above the front face windows.

bottle brick sunburst
bottle brick and fidobe

Planter can wall

In between helping Dave with windows I made a good start on the can wall to complete the large planter. I've used cement for this for strength, although I think the papercrete would probably be stronger - it's certainly more flexible so less prone to crack, and a whole lot nicer to wok with.

can and cement wall

Egg and chips break

Our neighbours, Pete and Maggie, who are partial to egg and chips for Saturday lunch came over on their quads and made egg and chips al fresco! I must say it's the best egg and chips I've ever tasted, and all off the back of a quad.

10-13oct201305.jpg
Pete the incredible quad chef
10-13oct201306.jpg
Chips glorious chips

Flashy flashings

Don't you just love hammerite?! The metal skylight flashings had started to rust almost as soon as we fitted them so I took them home, rubbed them down and did a coat of hammerite silver grey, now they look like new again.

Hammerite silver grey

Round room earth cliff

When the digger came all those years ago and dug out the round room he did it slightly smaller than we had planned, just to be on the safe side. But the soil is rock hard (in fact a lot of it IS rock!) so Dave is now going round the walls and taking them back to the 30cm earth cliff necessary. It's hard work involving boys toys machinery but it's worth it. Unfortunately for Dave my right arm is still hurting from the RSi so I can't help him much. In fact he's having to do most of the heavy work - but he is getting bigger servings of chips!

10-13oct201307.jpg

Cool work

Pete (of egg and chips fame) is an electronics whizz and has put together the freezer to fridge converter thingy-ma-jigg that we've been wanting for ages. We've been trialing it for the last 3 weeks and it's a marvel. Our old conventional front opening fridge freezer uses 1.5kwh of electricity per day. This new chest freezer that is now acting as a fridge uses approx. 0.1kwh of electricity a day. We'll get another to use as a freezer, as an A+ rated appliance it will use approx. 0.5kwh per day, saving us 0.9kwh per day for both fridge and freezer. Although it's not as convenient as a front opener I think it's worth foregoing convenience for the amount of electricity it saves. Considering we're looking at a 6kw solar panel system you can see why we're so excited about this

10-13oct201310.jpg
Chest fridge with converter electronics
10-13oct201311.jpg
Electronics panel

2014bookadvert190.png

knitafroliclogo190.png