cba_s0118_header.png
Home
About
Get Started Book
Volunteering Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
Time Out
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
   2-3 Aug 2012
   25-26 Aug 2012
   02 Sep 2012
   6-7 Oct 2012
   17-23 Sep 12
   30 May - 2 Jun 2013
   13-16 June 2013
   20-21 June 2013
   27-30 June 2013
   July 2013
   Oct 2013
   24-27 Oct 2013
   7-10 Nov 2013
   15-16 Nov 2013
   29-30 Nov 2013
   21-24 Nov 2013
   December 2013
   03-04 Jan 2014
   Jan 2014
   7-8 Feb 2014
   21-22 Feb 2014
   March 2014
   April 2014
   May - Jun 2014
   Oct 2014 Update
   5-14 Sep 2014
Diary Materials
Questions
Articles Recipes
Links
Books
Contact us
ldarthandwritten190.png


Jan 2014

Well, January wasn't the month we moved into the earthship - sob! February's not looking likely either. The walls and floor are taking a lot longer than anticipated. Ho hum, and so we plod on...

We did have a bright spot to the month though with a visit from Dave's brother, John, all the way from Vancouver. He even spent a couple of days helping us. Here he is helping Dave cement the footing for the outside terrace column (it's the bit under the cardboard in the bottom photo!)

 
jan201401.jpg

and then he helped me with tyre in-fill in the utility room and kitchen area...

jan201403.jpg
jan201406.jpg
Tyre infill, lime washed walls and leveled floor
jan201402.jpg
 

...and Dave along the front face. I didn't get my camera out until the end of the day so they're just pretending in the photo.

The plant, the very first plant to live in the planter even though it's only in a pot, is an avocado tree that I grew from seed. It doesn't like the cold so we decided to see how it likes it inside. They grow pretty big but I might be able to bonsai it and still get fruit. Anyway, it's loving it and has lots of new leaves sprouting.

Bathroom floor

While the brothers were cementing outside I finished the mud circle on the bathroom floor. It'll be under the sink unit so will be protected from water. The following week I oiled the tiled area, but couldn't do the semicircle as it was still damp.

jan201405.jpg

Ripped up

We've had some heavy duty winds lately, although nothing like the uk has been suffering. Anyway, the temporary roof we rigged up above the front doors (the black thing top right) was blown off. Not too major and sort of easy to repair. But while repairing it we, in our wisdom?, put the edge of the main roof bitumen OVER the edge of the temporary roof. Needless to say when the winds came, again, and blew it off, again, this time it ripped the main roof bitumen too - doh! Here's the repair that Dave and John made.

jan201404.jpg

Second stage tyre infill

On our own again, Dave and I did the second stage tyre in-fill in the kitchen area and I lime washed the walls in the utility room. Then, as I was doing some wall filling Dave started positioning the lath along the front face and finally we leveled the floor in the utility room - phew! Then January rolled into February.

jan201408.jpg
Second stage tyre infill
jan201409.jpg
Lath along front face

Comments




Add your comment

Name
Email (will not be displayed)
Comment
Antispam abo_antispam.png

 

2014bookadvert190.png

knitafroliclogo190.png