cba_s0118_header.png
Home
About
Get Started Book
Volunteering Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
Time Out
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
   2-3 Aug 2012
   25-26 Aug 2012
   02 Sep 2012
   6-7 Oct 2012
   17-23 Sep 12
   30 May - 2 Jun 2013
   13-16 June 2013
   20-21 June 2013
   27-30 June 2013
   July 2013
   Oct 2013
   24-27 Oct 2013
   7-10 Nov 2013
   15-16 Nov 2013
   29-30 Nov 2013
   21-24 Nov 2013
   December 2013
   03-04 Jan 2014
   Jan 2014
   7-8 Feb 2014
   21-22 Feb 2014
   March 2014
   April 2014
   May - Jun 2014
   Oct 2014 Update
   5-14 Sep 2014
Diary Materials
Questions
Articles Recipes
Links
Books
Contact us
ldarthandwritten190.png


March 2014

Kitchen floor

Finished the mud and lime floor in the kitchen and oiled it. It has fine cracks and marks where I smoothed areas which add an antique quality to it. Just needs one more oiling and it's done - yahoo!

march201401.jpg
march201402.jpg

Walls in round room

Then we started the can infill on the tyre walls in the round room. It's a long job as Dave sifts the soil first as there is so much rock in it. Then he mixes it with water in the wheelbarrow and finally we shape it into balls and pack it in with the cans. It's a job best done in a pair, especially when you're on top of a ladder.

march201403.jpg
1st stage infill
march201404.jpg
2nd stage infill
march201405.jpg
3rd stage infill

2nd and 3rd stage infill on round tyre wall plus mud shaping on dug out wall. I'm still adding chunks of quartz rock as detail in these walls, they did after all come out of the dug out soil and are beautiful when cleaned.

march201406.jpg
march201407.jpg

Front face shaping

Dave finished the lath and plastic layer on the front face. This is to strengthen the join between the different materials.

I shaped the end part of the wall - always keeping in mind that these areas will probably be cat sitting positions!

march201408.jpg
march201409.jpg
march201410.jpg

Lime-washing the dug out walls to stabilise them. I've also added a spray of upva glue diluted 50/50 with water to the areas I'd like to keep as the natural rock. This stops it being dusty but lets the beautiful stratas of the rock remain. The lime-washing is still in progress, I'm not sure how it will end up exactly, which bits will be left exposed, so I'm taking it slowly to see how it develops.

march201412.jpg

Champing at the bit

We're champing at the bit to start living here and couldn't help bringing some of our plants over so at least they could start making it home.

The pots with the very sad looking leaves have amaryllis bulbs in them. They should start to cheer up soon with any luck.

We re-potted the avocado using some of our home grown compost, also gave it a bit of a prune as I'd like to encourage it to grow upwards a bit more before it starts bushing out.

The last pic shows a plant that has seeded itself in the round room wall and is determined to stay - who are we to stop it so I've been working around it! The wood bits sticking out of the wall near it are roots from an almond tree outside. I'd like to keep them and make them into living hooks, but we'll have to see how it goes.

march201411.jpg

Floor leveling

Lastly Dave has been checking the levels of the round room floor. It's not far off as you can see from the little mountains of soil dotted everywhere.

march201413.jpg

Comments








Add your comment

Name
Email (will not be displayed)
Comment
Antispam abo_antispam.png

 

2014bookadvert190.png

knitafroliclogo190.png