cba_s0118_header.png
Home
About
Get Started Book
Volunteering Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
   2 Dec 07
   4 Dec 07
   20 Dec 07
   27 & 30 Dec 07
   24 & 26 Jan 08
   3 April 08
   10 Apr 08
   17 Apr 08
   2 May 08
   9 May 08
   6 June 08
   27 Jun 08
   5 Jul 08
   25 Jul 08
   16 Aug 08
   23 Aug 08
   12 Feb 09
   29 Jan 09
   15 May 09
   Easter 09
   21 May 09
   18 Jun 09
   29 & 30 Jun 09
   19th & 25th Sep 09
   9 July 09
   15 Oct 09
   29 Oct 09
   26 Nov 09
   11 Nov 09
   4 Dec 09
   17 Dec 09
   2 Jan 10
   23 Mar 10
   3 Jun 10
   12 - 17 Jun 10
   24 Jun - 1 Jul 10
   8 Jul - 5 Aug 10
   19 - 26 Aug 10
   2 & 9 Sep 10
   16 Sep - 8 Oct 10
   15 Oct - 19 Nov 10
   15-17 Dec 10
   Feb & 2-4 Mar 11
   17-20 Mar 11
   24 April 11
   5 May 11
   28-30 May 11
   11 Jun 11
   22-25 Jun 11
   30 Jun - 01 Jul 11
   8-15 Jul 11
   26 Jul 11
   28-30 Jul 11
   01 & 09 Mar 2012
   19-20 May 2012
   25 May - 3 Jun 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012
   1-8 Jul 2012
   20-22 Jul 2012 cont...
   02 Aug 2013
Time Out
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
Interior
Diary Materials
Questions
Articles Recipes
Links
Books
Contact us
ldarthandwritten190.png


29 Jan 09

Sun, glorious sun!

After days of cloud, rain and house shuddering winds we decided that we would just have to brave it out and get over to the 'ship to do some work. And what a lovely surprise we had because today the sun shone for all it was worth and the wind was a gentle breeze - aaaah.

Our first job was to meet the new town planner at Sorbas. Dave had been talking to Pablo about what the next step was in the planning process. Unfortunately he then went on extended leave before we could confirm what was needed. Luckily Alejandro, the new guy, was great. He's all for eco building and, after much discussion, worked out what we now need to do to complete the approval process. It means getting together drawings, costs and construction details plus water, power and heating specs for each of the buildings. We can do this in stages as long as we get the first ones in before the year is up on our planning permission. So, back to the drawing board we go....!

Pinned down at last

With the high winds we've been having it's been a bit of a worry that the roof beams for the greenhouse section weren't nailed down. We strapped them in place but it was more the thought that the front carpentry was still, in effect, only being held up by two skinny temporary pieces of wood. Luckily nothing had moved even a millimetre. So we set about getting the beams pinned in place. Below is Dave bashing in the rebar on the first of the beams....

29jan091.jpg

.....tidying up the pre-drilled hole....

29jan092.jpg

....and cutting the rebar to size....

29jan093.jpg

I did a very good job as goffer today, fetch this, turn on that, sunbath, oops, I mean hold the ladder. By the end of the day we (and I use that word very loosely) had pinned down 5 beams. Doesn't sound like much but there's a lot more work to it than it sounds.


2014bookadvert190.png

knitafroliclogo190.png