cba_s0118_header.png
Home
About
Get Started Book
Volunteering Planning
The Big Dig
Tyring Work
Putting the lid on
Time Out
Greenhouse
Geodesic Dome
   12 Apr 12
   20-22 Apr 2012
   11-12 May 12
   7-8 Jun 12
   9-14 Jul 2012
   11-14 Oct 2012
   27-28 Oct 2012
   01 Nov 2012
   8-9 Nov 2012
   14-15 Nov 2012
   5-6 Dec 2012
   13-14 Dec 2012
   11-12 Jan 2013
   16-17 Jan 2013
   01-14 Feb 2013
   March 2013
   01 Mar 2013
   5-6 Apr 2013
   12-13 Apr 2013
   19-20 Apr 2013
   2-3 May 2013
   10-11 May 2013
   16-17 May 2013
Interior
Diary Materials
Questions
Articles Recipes
Links
Books
Contact us
ldarthandwritten190.png


11-12 May 12

My first night

Dave has spent many a night at the earthship over the last two years while I've driven home to look after our animals. So when I had my first night there last Friday it was a real treat. Plus, we got lots of work done.

First, a friend helped us bring a load of reclaimed roof beams over in his trailer. Then I did more fibre glassing on the water tank lid and Dave and I planned how to finish the join between the dome and the greenhouse. On Saturday, our neighbour Pete came over to help us trim more wood for the geodesic, for safety we now have two people holding while one cuts. Still makes me cringe when I remember last October and our chase to the hospital.

All domed up..

This week we've had 3 volunteers with us, Christopher, Alicia and Ezequiel, for 2 days. Loads got done, the dome structure is finished (all bar the join between it and the greenhouse). Dave got so excited after putting in the final piece that he had to try hanging off it!

11:12may122.jpg
The third layer so close to being finished
11:12may123.jpg
Sunset through the dome
11:12may124.jpg
Dave hanging around

...chunked out

And of course, there was more chunking out done on the inside back and side walls. We also tidied up inside - moved the sofa and cairs around so we could access the side wall. It looks so different and is beginning to feel more like the home it will soon be.

11:12may121.jpg
Christopher and Ezequiel work on the inside back wall
11:12may125.jpg
Alicia and Ezequiel work on the side wall

...and sealed in

At last I finished the fibre glass work on the tank lid, giving it a final layer of resin, and with help put it in place. We built up the gulley from the roof and collected rocks to act as the first stage filter. Our site has an abundance of quartz so we used these, I'm hoping they'll impart their lovely energy to help cleanse our water.

11:12may127.jpg

And of course, there's tyre work to be tried out. We wouldn't want anyone to leave without doing at least one tyre so it's lucky we still have an external wall that needs building up.

11:12may126.jpg
11:12may128.jpg

Thanks everyone, we're so chuffed with all that's been done recently. It's getting very exciting!

newaffiliatebanner8.jpg


2014bookadvert190.png

knitafroliclogo190.png